Saturday, October 3, 2009

How I spent my Friday...

Hi there! What a gorgeous COOL and breezy day in Missouri! I am simply lovin' this fall! Hoping to do a bit of outside painting tomorrow if the breeze dies down.

*********




The first card I'll post here is one that looks much better IRL. I'm not sure why it photographed so poorly. I'm disappointed in the way it looks on "the big screen".

**********

Anyway, this week, Gina K. offered a tutorial on using the Sakura Clear Starburst Pen to create your own Shimmering Background Paper.
After the tutorial on Stamp TV, Gina posted a challenge for us to create our own shimmering background paper.
I first ran the CS through my Cuttlebug, using one of the new CB Embossing folders.
I took a scalloped rectangle Nestie and cut out the opening.
Every part of the embossed image was colored with the Starburst Pen.
I then stamped with Gina K.'s 'Friendship Blooms' on the inside, using her Luxury Ivory cardstock.
(The inside really isn't crooked, I just sort of slanted the photo - ugh...again!!!




Okay, enough of that one! So glad I have another day and more cardstock to play with!!! Tee hee. Bet you've all had days like that!
**********


So...Georgia and Cat, hope YOU had a good day at Archiver's! My friend Shirley and I drove about 70 miles to St. Louis Mills for a class at our Archiver's. We stopped first at Xpedx for some envelopes and 'bargains', met up with two of Shirley's friends, and the four of us continued on to "The Mills" for our class. Here is what we created there...




These all look very cute on "the big screen", but we were quite disappointed. This was labeled as a Copic Christmas Card Class. We assumed we would learn a Copic trick or two. What the class amounted to was just 'grab a Copic and color an image'. Even this would not have mattered, but all of the cardstock was paper thin, the markers all bled through, and the ink used was Versafine, which, of course, bled considerably. The instructor was adorable, and tried to be helpful, but she knew very little about the Copics, was certainly not certified in them, and could only do what she could do with what corporate allowed her to use.

Anyway, all in all, we had a lot of fun. We did a little bit of shopping (I know you are shocked at that bit of news!), had lunch, and didn't have to wash dishes or mop floors!

Have a great Saturday - I do, indeed, need to go mop floors today!!!

Patti J.

~When in doubt, wear red! (Bill Blass)

10 comments:

Danni said...

You've been busy! Great creations!

Chelsea said...

cards look great .... sorry the "copics" class at Archivers was not more impressive. I took a Copic Boot Camp class at my LSS and learned sooo much. I love my copics!

Caryl P said...

I love the card you made with the Gina K tutorial, it looks like it was much harder than you made it sound! Beautiful work and great cards from your class too!

Thanks for your sweet comments today too, you always bring a smile to my face after a long day at work!

Sweet Momiji said...

Beautiful cards!! I LOVE the igloo one!! That is just too cute!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for becoming a follower! I look foward to the new friendship! :)
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Hollie@ Momiji's Madness

Sharri said...

Patti, Great card you made for Gina's technique challenge! So that the Archiver's class was not what you expected. The cards are very pretty.

Roberta said...

Very cute pumpkin card! If it's that cute on here i can't imagine how much cuter it is irl! sorry your class at archiver's didn't go so well for you. thanks for your comment on my blog. i am just about to become a follower of your blog.

Lisa Hjulberg said...

I share your frustration with the difference between photos of our cards and the real thing! Some people have the knack for making them look so professional. I try all the tricks, but it's still hit and miss!

You did a great job on the challenge card! I love the "window" technique. Awesome!

Too bad about that class. Yes, they have those Our Craft Lounge classes here too...advertised as Copic classes...but at least the girl who teaches them does know how to use Copics and the images are stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black, which is the only ink that really works (IMHO)and on the right paper (I think she uses Neenah, although PTI's paper and Gina K's paper both work great for me). But your cards did turn out cute!

Love and hugs dear girl!
Lisa

Teresa Kline said...

these are gorgeous, I just got the embossing folder you used in the fist card....it is awesome.....great work....have a wonderful day!

enjoy *~*

Cat said...

GORGEOUS cards, Patti! I am on a waiting list at Archiver's for the Copic class. I won't feel so bad now if I don't get a call to come in.I think I bought the same alterable gingerbread house that you did! (Great minds think alike! lol) I bought one for myself and each of my two daughters. I also bought three of the spider web books too. My daughter who lives in the deep South and I are traveling to the Great NW to spend Halloween with my youngest daughter and my grandson. I thought the spider web books would make great scrapbooks to remember our fun time together. It is so rare that all three of us can get together :( So glad you had fun with your gal pals! :)

Maria Matter said...

Oh, I love your window card...great job with the challenge!!!

sorry the class wasn't what you expected...I would have thought the same! But you have a bunch of beauties there!
I would love to learn copic tricks and tips...but first I need to save up enough money to buy more of them!!! lol
take care Patti
sorry it's been awhile since my last visit, feeling a bit overwhelmed with the busy-ness of this week for some reason!
Blessings, Maria