Monday, October 26, 2009

Emma...

Before I go on, I would ask that you keep a special family in your hearts this week. A few weeks ago, I blogged that DD, Melissa, had taken a trip to Pennsylvania, to attend the wedding of a friend. This friend and DD had a unique and special bond. Both of them were many miles from home, and had brothers that had just been sent to serve their first deployment. They became each others support systems in their grad school home away from home. We received word this morning, that Melissa's friend Matt's brother was killed in Afghanistan this morning (yesterday???). Matt was just married a few weeks ago, and his brother officiated at his wedding. As a parent of a son twice deployed, I cannot begin to imagine that knock on the door. Please keep this family in your thoughs and prayers, during their difficult times to come.
Thank you.
***
Hi friends - This post will be short today. I feel badly for not posting anything over the weekend, but there simply wasn't time to get into my girl cave and hide out with my toys for a while. I did manage to finish a Christmas swap which, as you know, I can't share until it is in the hands of the recipients! It was a large swap - 15! Fun, though! So grateful to have a great group to swap with! (you know who you are!).

***

Today's card is for a few challenges...


***

Stampin' Sisters in Christ's challenge this week (I Chronicles 16:34 “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.” (NIV) was to create a card that expresses your thankfulness for someone or something they have done, or that encourages someone to be thankful. So... this card has been created for my friend, Lisa, who can read me like a book, and knows just when I need a little extra cyberhug, or prayer!!! So Lisa, this one's for you! (Kristine's pretty amazing too - you may need to share with her!)
***

I chose to follow this sketch from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. What a great sketch! I turned it all kattywampus as usual, but I did follow it (mostly)! Instead of flower, I used leaf...etc....



Here's my card.


Also, the challenge at the All That Scraps challenge was to create a tall card. This card is pretty tall! I made it to fit into a business sized envelope. This adorable image, Pumpkin Emma, is a CC. Designs Stamp, that I got from All that Scraps. Isn't she precious??? The sentiment is by Rupa Shvede, and is a Gina K. Designs Stamp.
***
Hope you like it.
***
Patti J.

22 comments:

Nikki Schmaltz said...

My heart goes out to that family. I can not even imagine. I am fortunate enough to not have anyone in my family that is serving. I will keep them in my prayers.

Maria Matter said...

oh Patti, this brings tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat! Just so sad...I will pray about this ask for peace over the family...and friends!
Take care!
Blessings, Maria

Beautiful card hun!

Lisa Foster said...

Oh Patti, my heart absolutely sank when I read of that poor family. **TEARS** I too am a military parent with both of my children having been deployed (3 for my son, 2 for my daughter)....I can't imagine that knock on the door either...my absolute worst fear of all. I will definitely keep them in my prayers!!!

Your card is too precious! You did an amazing job with those challenges!
Hugs,
Lisa

Caryl P said...

It is so sad to hear of another brave (young) hero leaving this world too soon. The family is certainly in my prayers, thank you for sharing.

As for the card, it's a beauty...kattywampus? I'll have to try that word out with the kids someday.

Brenda said...

Oh my heart aches for what that family must be going through. I can even begin to know what pain they must be enduring right now. I will keep them in my thoughts.

Patti this card is so sweet! Your coloring is awesome.TFS

Glittered Paws said...

Love the card - she is so stinkin cute and the coloring is GREAT!! You have had a lot going on the past couple of days - so sorry to hear about DD friend. We are home and coffee sounds great in the am before we go play.

Nilla said...

I am lucky not to have to send my only child away to fight a war! Never! So sad to read you story!

I love your fabulous card, always on top!! Hugs Nilla

Davi said...

Will keep this family in prayer. My son in law has deployed 3 times and is scheduled again next year. The words no family wants to hear. Your card is just darling. I love the dotted background. Im sure your friend will love it!!

Danni said...

Oh my! My prayers are with the family. As a military spouse to a deployed soldier, this hits very close to home!
Very nice card!

Giovana said...

So sorry to hear this sad news Patti.
I will keep them in my prayers.
BTW: Your card is beautiful

God bless you my friend.
Giovana

Barb g (WV) said...

Totally Terrific card for the SSS27 sketch! I love the sketch with the tall card and I love your coloring. Super fantastic job and we are so glad you joined us. Please do so again soon.
Barbg(WV)

Dawnll said...

Oh I am so sad to hear this news as a mother of a service person it just shakes me to me core. I just can't imagine . My thoughts are with all of you.
Beautiful card sweetie and it is good that you have an outlet to share with all of us. Blessings and Hugz

Lynne in NI said...

That's just the worst news ever, unimaginable how devastated they must be.

Beautiful card - love the colours you used and the leaves are ever so pretty

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh, reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I can't even imagine his new wife and the rest of the family and receiving that news. So heart breaking. I will be praying for this family as well as all the other families affected!

Great job incorporating all those challenges Patti!! I just love that image and your use of the sketch!! Beautiful card!
hugs,
Chris

Lynn Mercurio said...

Oh Patti - what a heartbreaking story, and unfortunately one that too many parents, siblings, wives and children have to endure. I'm lifting up this family for the love and support they will need in the coming months.

Your card is simply adorable and such an inspiration. TFS

Helen said...

What an adorable card. Thanks for sharing it with us at SSCC. We'll be praying for your daughter's friend's family.
Blessings!
~H

MariLynn said...

How sad. I will be praying for them. I love your card. I like the little leaf embellishments.

peggysue said...

I am so sad to read the news of that family losing their son. So sad. Thank you for posting such a lovely card. We look forward to seeing you next week for our next SSC challenge.

SmilynStef said...

Love how you tweaked the sketch for a great tall card design.

dstandard said...

Totally adorable card! My heart goes out to you.

lauren bergold said...

i *LOVE* the way you've stretched the sketch to make it into a wonderful tall card! SO clever & pretty!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Time has run away so quickly for me these days that I haven't even had a chance to tell you how touched I was when I received this lovely card. You spoil me Patti! I shall treasure it always... and you, for being such a wonderful friend to me. I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have you in my life!

Lots of love and hugs...and thanks,
Lisa