Thursday, October 25, 2012

What Have I Been Up To?

Howdy!
So, I'm back on my feet, but haven't been here much this week.  "What have I been up to?", you ask...
I've been busy, busy busy, watching videos from many of you fabulous crafters!
...Trying to get some ideas for creating a set of tile coasters.


No, I realize this is not tile coasters.  I've also been playing with Gelato's!
A few weeks ago, my wonderful friend, Dawn, knew I was looking for some to experiment with, and sent me a couple to try.  What fun!  I had seen a video by Penny Black & Jill Foster, (PBJ) where they used Gelato's on a gorgeous wooden bird, and when I saw this deer at Michael's this summer, I had to have it.
 Thanks, Dawn - you rock!

Used two shades of blue Gelato's and one silver.  Embossed with white Stampendous EP, using Gina K. Designs "The Magic of Christmas" snowflakes.  Rubbed Gelato's onto wooden deer (Michael's) using my fingers. What fun!!!

NOW.....on to the tiles!
I have this beautiful stamp set "Quiet Waters" from Our Daily Bread Designs, and thought that it would make a lovely set of tile coasters.  Again, watching a PBJ Video, I learned that I could stamp on them with my Staz-On, and color them with Copic Markers.  Yup, you heard that right!  After heat setting them with my heat gun for a good long while, I dunked them, soaked them, washed them, scrubbed them, wiped them with a towel, etc., and the color didn't even budge.  To be safe, I did put a coat of spray sealer on each tile.  Hopefully, it will be permanent.

My photos really have a red glow to them - so sorry!  They are a pretty rich brown in real life...



I made a set of four, glued on some felt pads, and was so lucky to have a wonderful friend, Shirley, whose wonderful DH is a master wood worker.  He just 'happened' to have a 'Coaster Holder' all made up that fit my coasters perfectly!  He makes racks for Stickles, holders for heat guns, coaster racks, bow-maker's, etc...

What a fun gift this will be.  They are going in the mail tomorrow morning to someone very very special!  Hope he likes them :)

Okay, dear friends - that's what I've been up to!  Now, I must go create for some DT deadlines - if I don't, I might just get fired...

Thanks for dropping by!

Hugs and blessings,
Patti J.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW girl!! You've been so busy!! :) Your deer is just gorgeous! I love that and your coasters look fabulous too!! That coaster holder is so cool! :) Thanks for sharing! HUGS

Lorie said...

Wow, I love it when you are quiet and busy...that means you've made something amazing as is evidence in this post. That deer is AMAZING! What a lovely decoration it will be this winter! And those coasters...that someone will love them! :)

Saucy Siciliana said...

I am always amazed by your creativity! I wish I had even a bit of it! Thank you for stopping by Patti, have a great weekend!

KellyRae said...

Fabulous deer - the snowflakes add to its whimsy. And your coasters are wonderful. How cool that you've got a master woodworker nearby to create the PERFECT coaster holder!

Cheryl W said...

What beautiful items you've created, Patti! Your deer is spectacular and so inspiring. The coasters with their holder are just wonderful. Somebody will treasure them! Thanks for sharing.

Maria Matter said...

oh Patti, your projects are beautiful!! the coaster will make a wonderful gift!!
hugs & blessings

shirley hotop said...

Beautiful IRL - glad the coaster holder worked for you and hope DS likes his gift.

Elizabeth Hart said...

Oh Gosh these coasters are fabulous - they look so expensive. WOW!~

Betty Benton said...

You have certainly been putting your time to good use! That blue/white/silver deer is gorgeous, as are the tiles -- what a great scene!

Dawnll said...

Oh my goodness I am so glad you got to use the gelatos they are spectacular!!!
Oh my word these are both such wonderful projects!
You are a talented one that is for sure...
By the way I am so glad you are back on your feet
Take care

Sue said...

Love the deer, so very pretty. Great colors and looks like so much fun.

The coaster set is wonderful. And the holder just perfect! They look so nice, what a great job you did. Somebody is going to be so happy when that package arrives at his house.

Hugs
Sue

Unknown said...

Wow the Deer is gorgeous Patti! And some coasters! You've been busy. You always make such beautiful projects.
Hope you have a great day.
Hugs xx

Jill said...

I LOVEEEE both of these projects! You've inspired me to go see what Michaels has for Christmas decor. Love your coasters, too. So rich and cozy. BIG hugs!

Amanda Mertz said...

Love the deer! He's perfect for all winter long! The coasters are fabulous as well; I haven't made them in ages and you might have given me ideas for Christmas! TFS!

Anonymous said...

how fun to have a wonderful handmade gift to send off Patti! Very nice and something that will get used! I don't have any Gelatos, so I'm putting my blinders on! lol OH, I looked... beautiful, Winter creating!

Cheri said...

OMGosh, Patti...these are awesome!!! I'm teaching a class on making tumbled coasters next month (we are soooo on the same wave length). Hugs.

Beate said...

Patti, your deer looks amazing! I absolutely love it.
Your tiles look amazing as well.

Hugs and smiles

Donna said...

Absolutely awesome, thanks for sharing a new technique.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Okay now you have me itching to make scenes! These are amazing! Only you would have a person handy with a holder! LOL!

Brenda said...

Wowza Patti these coasters are awesome!!! And that deer how cool is that!!!
Hugs,
Brenda

Auntie Em said...

Gorgeous deer projects...well one is a reindeer but still gorgeous! lol
I like the stamping and blended gelatos on the wood. Great idea!
And your coasters are beautiful and with the lovely holder are sure to be appreciated. A truly unique and thoughtful gift.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Kim said...

These are GORGEOUS Patti! I'm sure this gift will be treasured!!!

Lynne in NI said...

Wow, Patti, you've been busy!! These are fabulous, what a wonderful gift!

Patti P. said...

Patti, I have been slacking on visiting and thought I would try and catch up with some of my friends today. I love both of these projects, so creative and thoughtful. Thanks for the inspiration, would love to give these a try. You have been up to some beautiful things lately, hope you are well!
hugs.....

karalschuknecht said...

Wonderful project, I bought some of these tiles to do this and just haven't gotten it done yet. Beautiful work.

AmethystCat said...

wowza! look at those fabulous coasters and the deer is so creative! you go, girl!!!