Friday, July 3, 2015

CardMaker Magazine and Patriotic Colors

Hello, and happy Friday!

Today is my last blog post as part of the CardMaker Magazine blog team.
It's hard to believe that six months flew by so quickly.
It was such an enjoyable DT term. I met some wonderful people,
worked with some incredible products, and was forced to step outside
of my comfort zone a few times with project assignments!

Thank you Brooke and Tanya, for giving me the opportunity to be a part of your team!

Now, I hope that you will head over to the CardMaker blog
and check out my post!
I have two storage tips for you, that might will help your papercrafting
go a lot faster!

*   *   *   *   *

It's my day to post on the Die-Versions blog, and it seemed only fitting to showcase
a couple of my patriotic Die-Version dies!

For my project today, I've used Die-Versions "Festive Rocket" Whispers DV-473, and "Independence Kids" Whispers DV-467. The sentiment is a stamp from Repeat Impressions.


Here's a close up of the "Independence Kids" die that I used. You will note that I die cut from three different colors, layering one on top of the other (moving each layer a bit to the side) for dimension.



These dies were just calling out to be used in a unique way. The pattern for this Diorama card was lying on my work space, and that's how this card evolved!
This is the view from the front of the card.


Here is a side view, showing the dimension.


And here, I've laid the card down, giving you a bird's eye view of the card.


The fun thing about this card, is that it folds flat for mailing! If I had not used the rocket die as I did, an A2 envie would hold it. I had to choose a larger envelope due to the overhang of the fireworks!


Here, you can see the flap folded (not yet sealed). I placed the twine on top
to hold everything in place for the sake of photos!


Speaking of twine.....here is one more storage tip! I had OOdles of my grandmother's old wooden thread spools.  She worked for years in a fur store in downtown St. Louis. I can remember being allowed to go to work with her a few times. It was awe-inspiring to touch all of those amazing furs! Anyway, as the spools whittled down to just a couple of yards, she was told to take them home and use them.  I've saved them for years, and one day, I thought how fun it would be to be able to have them out and visible!  Since I had a lot of Baker's Twine, that is what seemed best to use them for.  I also had this pretty etched candy dish (I don't use the lid, as I like it to be open and ready to grab a spool) that seemed oh, so perfect. Now, my beautiful twines are all wrapped onto nana's spools, in a glass display 'case' that otherwise would be hiding in a cabinet! 

Well, thanks for stopping by today!

Hope you will become a follower of the Die-Versions blog,
and do a bit of shopping at the Die-Versions store - they have some wonderful new releases!

Thanks so much for stopping by today,
Patti J.

13 comments:

Stef H said...

this is soooooooooooooooo festive!!!
i love the twine around the spools and in a jar. that's something i need to do. where in the world do you find spools????

have a happy, fun and safe 4th.

hugs :)

Donna said...

Fabulous cards and what a keepsake for memories of your grandma.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! This is SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori Kobular said...

Love your Patriotic Diorama!! Someone will be very happy to recieve that wonderful card in the mail!! :)

Glittered Paws said...

Love the card - the little kids and the wagon are very cute - especially how you cut them from three different cs. I had been putting off my Diorama card because I thought it would be just "too much work" but it was fun to make.

Amy Johnson said...

Such a fun and creative patriotic card!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Fabulous card design. Happy 4th of July to you too.

MaryH said...

It is just awesome the way you've made this diorama card. I love the shadow effects on these dies and all the papers, dies and embellies combined to make something really stunning and so patriotic. It will be a very lucky person to receive this splendid project. Enjoyed seeing how you've recycled these very special spools to hold your twines..and what a useful & pretty display you've created. TFS & Hope your wkend & 4th of July are just wonderful. Hugs.

Cheri said...

Pretty darn cool, my friend! Awesome card and fantastic 6 months of incredible inspiration at CardMaker! (standing ovation)! Hugs!

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is such a phenomenal project. Your design and how you showcased the die cuts is fantastic. Gorgeous work, as always. Have a safe and happy 4th of July, Patti!

Cheryl W said...

What a fabulous card, Patti! I've not heard of a diorama card before. Guess I'd better go check out YouTube. he he

Taunya Butler said...

You are a whiz at this card making, creative storage, being prepared with cards thing - truly awesome, that is what you are. This card, WOW and how cool are those cute kids celebrating the holiday!! I am SO impressed with how awesome this card is!!!

*Vicki* said...

Wow this is such a clever design Patti!! :) LOVE the die cut and your wonderful patriotic twine is perfect with it!! Hope you had a wonderful fourth my friend! HUGS