Monday, June 29, 2015

Repeat Impressions Project of the Week - Masking Techniques

Happy last Monday of June!

I'm here today with a few masking techniques for the Repeat Impressions blog, The House that Stamps Built.  Grab your coffee, and let's get started!  WARNING! This post is photo heavy.

For my cards today, I used all Repeat Impressions Stamps:

When you mask images, you always want the 'front-most' image to be stamped first.
In this case, the black cat is the 'front' image.  It was stamped once on the card front, and once again on a piece of thin paper, to be used as a mask.

Here's what you will have so far.


Fussy cut your 'mask'.


Use a bit of double sided removable adhesive on the back of your mask,
and adhere the mask directly over your stamped image.


Choose the images that you will want to appear to be 'behind' your cat.
In this card, I wanted a couple of tombstones.  I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to
place the first tombstone over the cat image. If you have questions
about the stamp-a-ma-jig, let me know! Perhaps that will be my next
Project of the Week!


Repeat that process, adding another tombstone on the right side.


Begin peeling your mask away.


Here is a closer view.


Your final image will look like this.


I added some sky colors, grass colors, bats, boo's, and a sentiment.
Voila!  You've aced the masking technique!  Easy, right?
Read on, for two more masking techniques.


For this card, I used a Reverse Masking technique.  You will
begin with your card base, and another piece of card stock cut to the same size.



Set your card base aside for now. Apply a die (or you can use a punch) of choice, to your
panel that you just cut.


Here's what you have now.


Next, use some post it notes, or other removable material to firmly hold 
the panel to your card front.


Grab some inks, and sponge the opening you just created. I wanted
mine to look like an outdoors scene.


Remove your panel, and look at the pretty background you just
created for your favorite Repeat Impressions stamp!!!


To finish this card, I simply stamped an image and sentiment in brown ink.
Another easy project!


Last but not least, is another form of masking.
For this card, I stamped the ornament frame, and completely masked
off the ornament around the outside edge, leaving a bit of the black ink showing.


Some blue ink was sponged onto the circle, and I randomly began stamping
snowflakes into the center of the ornament with white ink.


Remove the masking pieces.


I used a silver glitter pen to color the ornament hanger, and a black micro pen
to draw some 'wire'.


To finish this card, a silver bow and some bling was added to the card front.
The card front was matted onto some black card stock, and then onto the blue card base.


You could take this one step further, by stamping your center ornament,
masking it, and stamping again on either side.

When the mask is removed, you will see that they are dimensional looking, as if one is
in front of the other two.


Draw in your wires, and you're ready to get creative!

I hope that you enjoyed today's project, and that you will give it a try!

If you do, be sure to drop by and let me know, so I can come to see your beautiful 
creation!!!

Don't forget to stop by on Wednesday, to check out the newest challenge!

Thanks for stopping by,
Patti J.

12 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

What a great tutorial! Thanks for posting this ~ you make it look so easy! Love the cards you created with the different techniques!

Theresa's Studio said...

Thanks for sharing these masking techniques. Very Creative ideas, Patti.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! These are amazing!!!!!!!!

Cheri said...

You rock at these masking techniques, my friend! Great POTW!!!

craftieodmae said...

Fantastic!!!!!

Donna said...

What a fun tutorial!

Becca Cruger said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing your techniques.

*Vicki* said...

You have really ROCKED the masking Patti!! LOVE the spooky card and the Summer scene you've created is so pretty with those colors!! Thanks for sharing your tutorials with us! HUGS :)

Cheryl W said...

Great tutorial, Patti! I should do more masking--it's such a fun technique and I love the result. My favorite card from this post is your little tree scene. Love that one so much!

Lynette said...

Awesome masking techniques, Patti! Wonderful cards, too.

Taunya Butler said...

WOW - I hereby declare PATTI to be the MASKING QUEEN - thank you so much for all these awesome tips and helps!! I loved all the photos and think that you are a stellar stamper!! Appreciate you so much!! Sorry to not be around but I have had reunions, weddings, heatstroke, migraines and just life to catch up on because of all that!!

Monika Reeck said...

ooh so many thinks I can learn on this post
I adore how you did the masking of the car so precious fussy cut Patti two thumbs up
and the bauble I loovee it much
and your wire looks so real ooh Patti I want that stamp...
its a great big images you only used it once and voila finish a christmas card
I should visit you more often to learn more
and please explain me to use stamp-a-ma-jig,
I am new at this tool I have bought and not used it yet hehehe (SMILE) and if you make tutorial about its
would you mind to emailing me I will watch it on your blog for sure
hugs from Munich
Monika