Friday, November 11, 2011

Topeka, Kansas - Thanksgiving Dinner?

I hope that you are enjoying your weekend.  I have a story to share with you. This was posted on our daughter's blog yesterday, and I offered to share with my readers as well:

In September of this year, I had the opportunity to meet some incredible people at the 140 Conference Small Town in Hutchinson, Kansas. One of the people I met there is Joe Cheray or @wildheart4ver if you know Joe through Twitter.
The #140 Conference Small Town is unique from most social media conferences in that it focuses on 10-minute story telling. Joe’s small town story took immense courage to share, and it left the room silent in compassion and, frankly, discomfort.
After surviving a childhood that no one should have to experience, Joe has grown into a strong woman with who has her own career and has built a successful blog. She’s a single mother to a son who has cerebral palsy, and she is one of the most courageous people I’ve met in a long time.
Joe will be having major surgery between now and Thanksgiving, and is unsure whether she’ll have a Thanksgiving meal for herself and her son. She won’t be able to drive anywhere yet on Thanksgiving, and she’s unlikely to be in a position to cook Thanksgiving dinner at home.
I’m writing this post because I admire Joe, and I love her for sharing her story with us in Hutchinson,  Kansas at the #140 Conference Small Town. I’m also writing this because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I can’t imagine spending it alone.
Do you live in or near Topeka, or do you have friends or family there who might be willing to deliver a Thanksgiving meal to Joe and her son? Let’s find a family for Joe to spend Thanksgiving with.
Please share this post with friends and family. Surely there’s a family in Topeka who can help Joe and her son enjoy a Thanksgiving meal this year.
I have seen so much outpouring of love and compassion among blogging friends, and I'm hopeful that someone can help this young mother.......

Thanks for reading,

Hugs and blessings,
Patti J.

8 comments:

Shirley said...

This is just a suggestion. I am a retired social worker and if I wanted to be sure she got help, I would call the United Way in Topeka and ask them who to contact to make arrangements to see Joe got what she needed in the way of Thanksgiving needs. I would bet they would know of a group that would probably get them adopted so they would have dinner at either their house or someone who would welcome them with open arms. Just a thought.

Gail said...

o my i hope so too patti..but i beleive joe and her son will not be alone thanksgiving..as we have ours in oct. but to me that would be like spending c'mas alone..i know there are many big hearts out there..tfs.loves ya

Susan said...

I wish I lived close Patti, I would love to help out this woman and her son. I will be saying a prayer that there is someone close to that area that can help this family. If there is any donations needed to help cover the cost of food please, please let me know.

Susan
cricutandgrasshopper.blogspot.com

Dawnll said...

Oh my goodness this is an amazing story to share, I am adding to my prayers that someone will be found-
How wonderful of you to share sweetie

craftieodmae said...

I was gonna suggest what Shirley did, no one should be alone during the Holidays, also sending prayers for God to work this out for her and her son!

Bonnie Weiss said...

Hope that someone comes forward to make this Thanksgiving truly thankful for Joe and her little boy.

Lynne in NI said...

Aww I hope they manage to get sorted with Thanksgiving dinner ... let us know how she gets on!

Amanda Mertz said...

I'm not close but I'll be sending prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can contribute and keep us updated!