Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Meet Rosie... the Wonder Granddaughter-dog!

Last Thursday afternoon, DD and I had an adventure!
I got an email from her mid-afternoon, saying, very simply,
"get your shoes on and come meet me NOW"!!!
So, having a reputation of always doing what I am asked or ordered to do,
I got my shoes on, used the restroom (thank heavens!), and went to meet DD.
It seems we were on our way to meet (and bring home) our little Rosie.









All photos by Small Town Girl

Before I continue with my story, keep in mind that approximately 1 mile from our home is a wonderful no-kill shelter....

DD and I met in a town about 30 min. south of here, and drove from there.

I didn't clock it, but I think it was about a 1.5-2 hour trip each way.

We began on a two lane highway, which turned into a narrow two lane road, complete with one way bridge, which turned into a gravel road, turning into a narrower gravel road with one lane bridge.

The road continued to narrow, the gravel became smaller, and less, and suddenly we were on a mud road.

The mud road then became narrower, until it was very nearly a one lane road.

The last of the directions given to us was to look for the black dented mailbox.

Lol... If I would have had to turn around, I would have needed clean clothes!

(Did I mention how happy I was that I took that restroom break???)

My goodness!

Oh, and did I mention that it was threatening to rain?

Yup, and the water was already up to the edge of the road/er... mud from the last time it had rained!

(Now can you see why I'm glad that I took time to use the restroom???)

Anyway, we had a great day - we laughed a lot, met and fell in love with Rosie, and now DD has a partner in crime!

Rosie was found, nearly dead, and this stray program ended up with her. She is a tough little cookie, which is why she ended up being named Rosie (as in the famous Riveter)!

The stray program took excellent care of her, and she was such a sweetie when we saw her.

There were a total of 42 dogs in this yard, and by the time we left with Rosie, there wasn't an inch of our clothing that wasn't covered in red muddy pawprints and hair of many lengths and colors!

Rosie's first stop after leaving her foster momma was the vet, where DD had her checked out thoroughly.

She's perfect! Her disposition and personality are so sweet, and she is SO smart! Now, I know that being grandma makes me a bit partial, but she really is smart! She is already sitting on command, and with hand signals, she's learning 'down', and knows to sit until DD tells her it's okay to eat when food is put into her dish. She was already totally dedicated to DD by the time we got home last Thursday. Amazing how fast they bonded!

All in all, DH and I are very sure that Rosie is a 'keeper'! We already cannot imagine life without her, and can't wait until next weekend when we get to doggie-sit while DD flies out of state for a half-marathon race! I'm sure you can expect to endure more photos, as she's only 10 lbs. and about 4.5 months old. We'll simply have to update as she grows!

Thanks for being patient, and letting me brag!!!

I'd love to hear what you think about her!!!

Hugs,

Patti J.

26 comments:

Betty Benton said...

I think she is a darling and I for one am looking forward to updates. And kudos to your DD for getting her sweetie from a shelter -- there are so many there who need loving homes!

Dana said...

Oh.. she is just so precious and what a perfect name!! What an adventure and memory you and your daughter shared! Best of luck to all of you and keep the pics coming!!
Hugs~
Dana

Kim Mc said...

Well, we are all partial to our puppies (and grandpuppies) and that's the way it should be!! But I gotta admit this one is giving mine a run for her money! They both got that scruffy look going for them which I think makes them so much more adorable! And Rosie is already much better trained than my 2 1/2 year old Malie! They're about the same size (Rosie's just a couple pounds heavier) but I'm sure yours will get a bit bigger! Can't wait to see updates and congrats to Melissa (and you guys as grandpuppypareants)!!
Aloha, Kim and Malie

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

There is nothing like a new fur baby in the family. Rosie sound like quite the educated lass! Happy for all of you!

P.S. she has the sweetest face!

Nikki Schmaltz said...

She is adorable. So lucky of her to have you and you to have her. Enjoy!

Rufus said...

Keep those photo's comin'! What a cutie. So glad they found each other.
Hugs,
R/

Iris said...

Oh!! She looks so cute!!! Love the name!! I hope I get my own dog soon!!! She is so adorable!! Keep us updated!!!!

redwasher1 said...

Oh!!! I love all of the fab photo's !! So cute!!!!!

Dawnll said...

Oh my goodness she is so adorable! Oh I would love one just like her!
You have to keep sharing pictures- she is just to cute not to.
How blessed she is to have a great family.
Enjoy every moment

Anonymous said...

Oh she is such a cutie! Can't wait for updates.
I wish i could have a dog and as cute as Rosie.
Hugs xx
Pat

CraftinGranny said...

She is definitely a keeper and so adorable! Be sure you keep us updated with more pics. I'm a sucker for puppies and dogs. We have our Molly and Sparkey combo here and they are spoiled rotten but do mind very well. Enjoy her my friend, they fill the empty nest when the kids are gone. "Hugs" Carol

craftieodmae said...

oh how sweet...............she's adorable!!!!

Lynn Mercurio said...

What a wonderful story Patty. I have a stamp that says, "Never pass up an opportunity to pee"...LOL. Looks like you did THAT right before your long trip to meet this little lady. Along Rosie's journey, she must have done something right because she has really hit the jackpot landing in your family. She will be loved, cared for, and probably spoiled rotten. =)

Glittered Paws said...

Cute pictures - and - cuter in real life. What a snuggle bug she is. I am sure Mellie is going to be a great mom and of course "grandma is going to spoil her rotten.

Sue said...

Well, that's quite a story Grandma! I can tell you're all in love, and I can see why, she is so cute. Looking forward to updates and pictures. Lucky Rosie to have been picked by a loving family.

Hugs
Sue

The Other Patti Sue said...

OMGoodness sounds like quite a trip! Congrats on the new fur gbaby!

Melisa Waldorf said...

She is soooo cute Patti. If you didn't have to travel so much you could get your own partner in crime. Maybe DH will retire soon!

Curt in Indy said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! She is awesomely A D O R A B L E!!! What a sweet little face. Congratulations on being a Grandma! And I know that little girl will be spoiled rotten. Now SEND ME $100,000.00 RIGHT NOW! (Just thought I'd see if you obeyed that order! LOL Congrats again! Best, Curt

Stef H said...

she is just too cute. i would have fallen too! good thing you did the potty thing before you left! i soooooooo hear ya there!

lmao on your laptop suggestion. i love it - and hubby found it very funny!

hugs :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Aw!! How darling is your new doggie!! I am sure your daughter will enjoy him...someday maybe when you travel less you can get your own. Happy New Year My friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Brenda said...

Betty Rosie is a cutie and I agree a keeper. What a wonderful adventure for you and your daughter, I am sure you will remember for many years.

Vicki said...

Oh Patti that is one precious looking granddog! And you are a fabulous story teller hon! I KNOW why you were glad you took that potty break! LOL congrats on your new addition!

HUGS!

Vicki

Theresa said...

What a great entry and makes me jealous for fun spontaneous mother-daughter trips :) I guess the next time I take one, I'll be the "mother"! Great story!

Angela K said...

Oh my goodness, so so cute!!

Cat said...

How sweet! Congrats to you and DD! All of my pets were gotten as abandoned strays, and I really think they make the best pets. They are so happy and grateful to be "adopted" by a loving family! Hugs

pam said...

Aww she is a doll. Good thing you didnt take your sister with you, you probly would have had a car full of pets coming home! you know how I am with animals!!! sometimes I think I love them more than humans (JK) but don't tell my little girls that one! It would crush them!!!But so happy my niece has a partner in crime now to love and cherish her!!! pam